Saturday, May 26, 2007

My very first blog!

Since this is my first blog, I should probably say a little something about myself. Well, and if I don't explain my history you may be confused about why I blog about certain topics.

I am a nearly 40-year-old woman who has just returned to being a full-time student. My first "almost" degree was in music education, but that got derailed when I had an "accident" that caused me to lose 90% of my digestive system (more on that later). A few years after the "accident", I returned to school and actually did receive a Bachelor's of Science in Nutrition and Dietetics. However, immediately upon graduation I had to have a four organ transplant (again, more on that later), and so I never got a chance to use my education in the field of dietetics. So now, with the myriad of medical issues that I have been blessed with, I feel the intense desire to return to school yet again, this time pursuing a degree in medicine. Actually, to be more specific, my goal is to be a Gastroenterologist working specifically with people who have short-bowel syndrome and also those who are pre/post organ transplantation (mostly intestinal and liver transplantation).

My plans for this space are to blog about my crazy, hectic, and slightly masochistic life; as well as nutrition (which has now become something of a hobby), and medicine. You can expect to see a lot about organ donation, and my life as an organ transplant recipient. Did you know that the easiest way to become someones hero is to sign an organ donor card? My hero is named Zoe, and it was her parents that made the choice that saved my life.

I'll post more about me later, getting more specifically into the "accident" and what caused me to need a multiple organ transplant. Thank you for joining me in my new adventure:)

Byrd

No comments: